Wednesday, March 24, 2004

Hot Beef

Alongside highway 71 in Missouri, we pulled off in Butler for a bite to eat. I've been doing this low carb thing for about 9 hours so I was ready to treat myself. We found the Dinner Bell Family Restaurant with an empty parking lot and the cook out back changing his oil. We went in, looked over the menu, and I opted for the Hot Beef sandwich. $3.95. It arrived within 3 minutes, a gigantic gob of mashed potatoes smothered in gravy, and a nicely cut white bread sandwich overflowing with hot beef.

This is what we eat here in the middle of the country, and were there a job around here it'd be my choice 5 days of the week.

I didn't lick the platter, but that's because I'm classy. But I got any of the excess gravy with my spoon.

Later we headed across the border into Iowa to this tiny town with a pretty little college where I'm interviewing for a job tomorrow. This morning we took in the sights, waved to some Amish folks who were raising a building, and shot a few pictures.